What’s Expected Of a Rutgers Future Scholar
Pride, Dignity and Respect
The goal of the Rutgers Future Scholars program is to prepare academically talented students to gain admission into post-secondary institutions, including Rutgers University, be contributing leaders within these institutions, and ultimately earn an undergraduate degree.
There are specific criteria that prospective students will need to meet in order to be eligible for the Rutgers Future Scholars program. Review criteria.
In addition to meeting these requirements, we expect all students to conduct themselves in a manner which brings pride, dignity, and respect to themselves, their family, the community, and the Rutgers Future Scholars program.
Scholars are role models and leaders within their respective schools and communities, and we expect students to challenge themselves to improve all aspects of their personal, social, and academic development.
We Challenge and Expect All Our Students to:
• Take rigorous academic courses in high school.
• Develop critical thinking, problem solving, communication, and time management skills.
• Build civic responsibility by taking an active role within their school and home communities.
• Maintain high attendance rates for both school and the Rutgers Future Scholars program.
• Participate in residential and non-residential summer programs on the Rutgers campus.
• Participate in college and career preparation seminars.
• Experience various activities and trips designed to stimulate their intellectual interest.
Among other factors, a student’s GPA largely determines admission to college. High GPAs increase the likelihood of gaining admission into Rutgers University and other colleges of choice.
Students who do not maintain a “B” average in core academic subjects will be enrolled in mandatory after-school tutoring on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 3:30pm-5:30pm.
Rutgers Future Scholars is dedicated to providing resources that will help each student be academically successful throughout middle school, high school, and college.
To Remain in Good Standing,
• Participate in the summer and academic year Rutgers Future Scholars programs.
• Pursue a college preparatory course of study throughout high school to meet the requirements for admission to Rutgers University upon graduation from high school.
• Students must also ensure:
The Rutgers Future Scholars program is intended to break the cycle of poverty through education for low-income, academically-promising middle school students.
Students who successfully complete the five-year program will receive full tuition funding (through scholarships and federal grants) to Rutgers.
These financial guidelines determine whether a student qualifies for the program.
|People in Household (Including Student)||Family Gross Income Does Not Exceed|
Participation And Behavior
Rutgers Future Scholars (RFS) can be described simply as a college access program. However, we believe it to be more. We think of it as a movement-a movement towards re-imagining how educational institutions can serve their communities.
We begin with a declaration; Once a Scholar, Always a Scholar. This is our promise to you and your families of our unconditional commitment to your success, in turn, our collective success.
We offer hope and opportunity. Our nation has created far too many “zero tolerance” or “no excuses” responses to actions of which can be interpreted as undesirable.
We believe in supporting you throughout these critical years during both the hardships and triumphs, and promise to serve as a surefire mainstay, always believing in your genius.
Application Information For Counselors And Staff
Follow the guidelines below to assist your students with the application process for the 5-year Rutgers Future Scholars Program. Please note that incomplete applications will not be reviewed.
Step 1: Please Have the Following Information Prepared Before Beginning Their Online Application
• Each student must use their own email address when starting an online application. Students are not allowed to use their parent’s email address to create their application accounts. Students must create and have access to their own email address and password, as they will use these accounts throughout their 5-years of participation in the program.
• The applicant’s name, home address, two phone numbers, and valid parent email address must be provided.
• Email address of the two people providing a recommendation (school principal, counselor or teacher). A recommendation request will be emailed to whoever is listed as a recommender. Students must follow up with their recommenders to ensure that they receive and submit the recommendation form before the application deadline. Students can change the contact information for recommenders after submitting the application.
• Report card for 7th grade year with 1st and 2nd quarter grades from the school.
• Two essays are required for all applicants and must be composed and submitted in the essay boxes provided on the online application. The essays are an important factor in admissions decisions. Essays submitted separately from the application will not be considered.
• A copy of the parent’s 2014 and 2015, or 2015 and 2016 tax information (forms 1040 or 1040A) to complete the Financial Information portion of the online application and/or documentation for any untaxed income such as social security, unemployment, welfare, child support, etc.
Hard copies of all financial documents must also be submitted to guidance counselors or delivered to the Rutgers Future Scholars office at the school you’re applying to:
68 Davidson Road
Piscataway, NJ 08854
110 Warren Street
Newark, NJ 07102
325 Cooper Street
Camden, NJ 08102
Step 2: Log on to
• If selected for the Rutgers Future Scholars program, this online application will be the first step in the creation of each student’s MyRutgersFuture Portal Account. This portal is an online system used by the RFS scholars and staff to track academic progress in school, allow signup for university events, complete online surveys and communicate important program information.
• Students should accurately record the email address and password used to create their online application so that they can access their Portal Account once they become a Rutgers Future Scholar. This will also allow them to log in and out of their online application. If they create an account and forget the password, the “forgot my password” button prompts the system to send them an email with their password. DO NOT CREATE ANOTHER ACCOUNT! Students with multiple application accounts will be rejected.
Step 3: Fill Out
Students need to complete all required fields in each section of the application. Information can be saved and completed at their convenience. However, once submitted, applications cannot be edited.
Step 4: Submit
Click Submit Application at the bottom of the page.
Step 5: Review
Review the checklist and submit all accompanying paper documents with the cover sheet provided.
Counselors, Please Note:
• The Rutgers Future Scholars program may contact you for additional information, clarification, or consent before acceptance decisions are made. Please ensure all parent and student contact information provided online (including mailing address, phone number, and email address) is accurate before submitting the application.
Students should submit the online application as well as the CONFIDENTIAL envelope addressed to the Rutgers Admissions Committee, to the school’s guidance counselor.
Notification: Students will be notified regarding their acceptance status. Those who are accepted will receive an official acceptance package from the Rutgers Future Scholars Program.
Online Application Items
Student Application Registration
Two Written Statements
Parental Permission Form
Two Staff Recommendation Forms
Requested Paper Documents
Student Application Registration
Copy of custodial parent’s current Federal Tax Return Form 1040 or 1040A from the two most current years
Documentation proving any untaxed income such as unemployment, social security, welfare, etc.
A Parent/ Guardian’s Role
How Parents/guardians Can Help
• Grant permission for the student to participate in the Rutgers Future Scholars Program.
• Assist student with completing the online application and submit financial verification documents.
• Fully support and facilitate the student’s involvement in the Rutgers Future Scholars Program, including ensuring that attendance remains satisfactory.
• Attend parent/student academic advisement meetings with our Academic Advisors to ensure that your student is achieving their academic goals each year.
• Make an effort to attend ceremonies and special events to support scholar achievement throughout their 5-year experience in the program.
“I believe that so much of what we’re able to achieve as individuals is due to equal amounts of talent and opportunity. Most of the kids in my high school face incredible challenges in their young lives and to see them succeed in the face of adversity is truly incredible.
The Rutgers Future Scholars program gives these kids a chance. It rewards their academic hard work in school with access to the skills required to excel in the next phase of their lives.
Once they’re accepted into the program, I see these kids bring a renewed commitment to their studies. The incredible thing is, they want to share these lessons with others in their class and everybody benefits — the class, the school community, I even benefit from having a better understanding of these students and their needs.”